Thursday, July 21, 2011

Alexander Calder 1965 Post Aricle | The swinging art and the man who created it


Saturday Evening Post Feb. 27, 1965
with a Calder mobile on the front cover.

My husband Brian Ladd, is always looking around on the net for cool mobile art related stuff for me. On Ebay he bought me this vintage magazine... The Saturday Evening Post Feb. 27, 1965. I just love it. Not only is it old and in great shape... it didn't smell like mold! It also had a great article on my favorite artist... Alexander Calder. The front cover shows a child reaching up to touch one of Calder's mobiles.

The start of the article shows an action photo of Calder sitting in the center stationary,
and the motion of his mobiles in action. The first piece shown is a stabile, I have not seen it anywhere, it is called "Rat". I love it!! The humor of Calder really shows!

On the left a stabile "Bucephalus", on the right "Five Rudders".

Shown above is the Alexander Calder show at the Guggenheim. Where people were able to actually touch the giant stabiles and mobiles. "Albert Einstein once spent 40 minutes watching the entire cycle of a motorized mobile called A Universe at the Museum of Modern Art, and reportedly said he wishes he had thought of it himself".